The Silence of Our Friends

Monday, November 26, 2007

Even More FFF

Hugo Schwyzer has a new post up, he admits that he didn't mention the "controversy" surrounding the book to his class, and thinks it would be a good learning tool, and is asking for help and direction in creating materials. If you are so inclined, head on over and offer some suggestions.

What got my attention is that the post sounds like he took to heart the things that "Jessica" said in my last post. Now many other people said the same exact things before I wrote that last night, so he may have gotten the idea elsewhere, but in the back of my mind I am crediting "Jessica". I wonder if he got a glimpse of the unfairness in the split second he really thought it was Jessica and took the criticism seriously, then realized, no it's just a WOC. Why is the same exact thing said by a white person more authoritative than said by a woman (or man) of color?

You may think I am gloating and crowing over this little bit of trickery I may have pulled off. You'd be wrong. I was crying over it. The beautiful soaring voices of my brothers and sisters are almost always only heard by those of us also in the choir. The congregation we want to reach is snoring in the pews with their ear plugs firmly in place. That hurts. It hurts alot.

8 comment(s):

what a complete yawn he is. so fucking predictable. yet it never ceases to sadden me.

michelle's response to that post rocks.

ugh. this whole thing. "WOC, I demand that you come fix my syllabus if you know so much. i mean, suggest small adjustments that i will reject."

By Blogger seitzk, at 11/26/2007 4:18 PM  

I just gave him my one and only attempt. Though, I suppose, if he reacts better to my "hey, as a fellow clueless asshole white person I'm going to smack you upside the head with some shitty truth" remark, it really will have just proven the point here. So, in retrospect, I'm not really sure of the point because it sounds like the outcome is going to suck either way. Sigh.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/26/2007 4:56 PM  

Oops, I should have mentioned that said comment is in moderation right now and obviously I have no idea how long it will be in moderation. So if you don't see me on the thread, that's why.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/26/2007 4:59 PM  

Donna I love you. This sucks.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/27/2007 8:17 PM  

Like many others I was amazed that he didn't understand the meaning of white supremacy, especially after stating that he has read bell hooks, I'm wondering if he read her several years ago and promptly forgot what she said? I mean seriously, in the context of a discussion with women of color and our allies, of course we would be using it the same way bell hooks does.

What is frightening to me is that he really does seem like a nice guy but clueless. I do think he is trying to take the lazy way out, which isn't so nice, and that he is using some manipulative tactics, but like alot of white people I don't think he is completely aware of it, it just comes naturally, so it's not out of sheer meanness and trying to make us waste our time and spin our wheels, although that will be the result.

The worst to me is that he is a know it all. He does think that FFF is as inclusive as it gets and that Jessica couldn't do any better. He does believe that there is an oppression olympics and that sexism is in the lead with racism far behind. He only looks for information that confirms his beliefs and hates nuance. Hates when things aren't cut and dried, right/wrong, black/white with no gray. And when you are talking oppression so much of it is nuanced, that's why BlackAmazon was clear in saying that she is not the spokesperson. She can't be, because there are so many different things that black women believe not to mention the rest of us WOC. So it would be impossible for her to speak for or embody what all black women or women of color want, need, or feel.

Thanks for your words, Katie, Cara, and Joan. I am feeling better since writing this post, there are so wonderful words and ideas floating around because of this, just talking amongst ourselves and working things through feels good instead of bottling it up inside.

By Blogger Donna, at 11/27/2007 11:17 PM  

So I just wrote and deleted a bunch of stuff for a comment on this, and this is what I have left:

I personally really deeply feel like thatgirl's Aye, WhiteMan, You Almost Got Me! and her Submerged poem -- have you seen that poem? -- name something very very deep and crucial about the dynamics going here.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/28/2007 2:36 PM  

I read the second thread. So many strawmen flying around, I had to duck. Especially about the white supremacy. This guy just seems really manipulative. I don't know him. Some really good responses there though.

By Blogger Five Before Midnight, at 11/30/2007 12:00 PM  

I note that he devoted an entire post to Ilyka's admittedly wonderful poem, even calling her by her name, as opposed to just "here." I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that Ilyka's white, though. Right?

By Blogger Lesley Plum, at 11/30/2007 9:50 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home