The Silence of Our Friends

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Be My Research Assistant!

Ok, not mine, be Sudy's research assistant. If you haven't been paying attention, then you haven't seen the wonderful video she made honoring Women of Color Feminism. So take a look! Now that we all know about it, she wants to make a new video, a testament or witnessing of the idiocy, ignorance, toolishness of the feminist/liberal blogosphere.

The reason why I said I want you to be my research assistant in the title, is because I have memory problems due to my meds. I can remember some of the firestorms and blog wars, but don't have exact quotes or where they were said. So I'm hoping someone can remember for me and give Sudy the quotes and links.

My blog's raison d'etre, (Did I do the French right? Do I appear sophisticated and worldly for using French? Why yes, I do. Unless I did it wrong...) is the Clinton blogger lunch. Any outrageous racist, sexist quotes from that would be great. I already gave her TRex.

Others: The burqa incident. Lindsey's racist post about asylum for all Afghan women to the US. Almost any time a WOC mentions sexism or violence within POC communities there is at least one sexist MOC who gives her hell for it. ENDA transphobia. Katie Thorpe/Ashley X ableist firestorm. FFF and It's a Jungle Out There book covers. Angelina Jolie and other celebrity colonialism. "You can't be a feminist because you're a damned slut" wars, both the sex workers and 'fun feminist' versions and any others you can think of. In other words, anything blatantly racist, sexist, classist, ableist, transphobic, homophobic, etc you can think of would be great for this project.

Belle already covered WOC morphing into the oppressor and The radfem transphobia wars, but if you got more, or better quotes, go for it!

10 comment(s):

As much as I blog about the awful things certain feminists say, I really hate how much of a cornucopia we have to work from.

By Blogger Maddie H, at 11/17/2007 11:00 PM  

Are we including the pie fight and generic misogynistic miscellanea, like pretty much anything avarosis says?

By Blogger R. Mildred, at 11/18/2007 7:04 AM  

R.Mildred, I'm not certain, I think so, but she also says she wants unbelievable things that -feminists- say, and that would exclude Kos and Aravosis. I asked her and she hasn't gotten back to me on that yet.

Lisa, I think she only wants the most outrageous stuff, the things that take no explanation at all. What depressed me is that I have all these examples in my head of total wrongness, but they aren't so easy. The ones that are wite majik attax, after all Nez wouldn't have to make a glossary if it needed no explanation.

By Blogger Donna, at 11/18/2007 9:17 AM  

I just checked A Womyn's Ecdysis and Sudy has a new comment, don't worry if it's from a Feminist site, she's taking all submissions and sorting what she can or can't use. So go for it with the pie fight and Aravosis wrongness, R.Mildred!

By Blogger Donna, at 11/18/2007 9:22 AM  

There's still a cornucopia. Like I said on Sudy's blog, looking for transphobic remarks by feminists is like panning for rocks instead of gold.

It's harder to find explicit racism or sexism, although Satsuma's been providing some serious misogyny on the Margins recently.

By Blogger Maddie H, at 11/19/2007 2:59 AM  

Sudy would be all done looking if she just stuck to Blanche's site, that one place is the cornucopia capital of the intertubez! Between her and the clear-eye gazing lesbian commenters, political or not, it's wack smorgasbord time! I'm still cracking up over that, "You! Yeah, cloudy-eyed one, you bin samplin' teh cawkz? Git outta our radfem clubhouse!"

By Blogger Donna, at 11/19/2007 7:10 AM  

Argh...blogspot keeps not letting me view blogs.

I can view yours still, hence the vent being here.

Anyway, yeah, panning for any kind of nasty stuff there is just too easy. That they have a carefully cultivated blind spot (Satsuma can't be misogynist about straight women because they have het privilege over her, women can't be the oppressor ever anyway, etc), it's not even possible to point it out without them defensively throwing up theory.

Why isn't strike allowed in comments? Grr.

By Blogger Maddie H, at 11/19/2007 7:05 PM  

This thread is a personal favorite: http://easypersiflage.com/blameforum/index.php?topic=643.30. It combines classism, sexism, racism to the extent it intersects with classism, anti-sex worker-ism (if there is such a thing), and just general assholery.

By Blogger Octogalore, at 11/24/2007 12:27 AM  

-gazes seriously and unblinkingly at Donna-

By Blogger belledame222, at 11/26/2007 1:06 AM  

OMG! It's the clear-eyed serious lesbian gaze!

By Blogger Donna, at 11/26/2007 1:38 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home