The Silence of Our Friends

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Your Whiteness Is Showing

And you wonder why women of color have, for so long, thought (by and large) that white so-called feminists were phony as hell? Sister please...




Via Racialicious

5 comment(s):

Hello there!

I have had your blog on my blog roll for quite some time and I've stopped by once a week!

I am glad that Tim Wise has confronted white feminists because often, white feminists who are confronted by black feminists use many excuses in order to diminish what has been said. A white man who is observing the power play of white feminists creates a much different reaction. If you have been to the blogs of white feminists, they aren't discussing his accusations.

You see, many white feminists refer to Tim Wise by the W-word (which is a highly offensive term that white people use to describe other white people who are committed to "black" issues and causes).

I am glad you are blowing the trumpet about the lack of support of many white feminists for Obama's candidacy!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

By Blogger LISA VAZQUEZ, at 6/15/2008 7:53 PM  

Lisa, thanks so much for stopping by. I will add your site to my blogroll soon (it's been a long time since I updated and I must do it!)

I agree that I would prefer that white feminists would hear this from women of color, but yes, sometimes they find excuses to ignore us or dismiss us, and instead will hear it if it is said by a white person. I also simply appreciate white people speaking out, as the name of my blog indicates.

By Blogger Donna, at 6/25/2008 7:52 PM  

i just don't understand why so many feminists (of any color) seem so focused on and excited about presidential politics, period. is there something i don't know? i always thought that, in this day and age, presidents are just corporate puppets...? for those of us that want to see radical social change, why should it matter which puppet makes it into the oval office?

it astounds me how many people seem so starry-eyed over obama... how can people truly believe he will be any different than the rest? he's nothing but a product backed by a very slick marketing team.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/09/2008 8:03 PM  

This was my response to Tim (un)Wise:

"Wow, so you think you first have the gall to claim that white women as a group are selfish (boy, haven't heard that one before) then you claim to speak for women of color, including myself ("ALL women of color are voting for Obama, and so should you!"). I am a brown woman and I am NOT voting for Obama because at the rate that sexism and racism are going in this country I am really disillusioned, to put it lightly.
I always sensed there was something wrong with people prodding and pressuring women into feeling like "racists" or "traitors" for wanting Hillary Clinton to win. And I, as a woman of color, am sick of this misogynist, patronizing, and racist manipulation.
If you think throwing threats and intimidation at whole groups of women is going to make them "side with you," you're wrong. You think you're so pro-feminist but your racist misogyny is oozing out of this article. Your whole tone is completely condescending and snide. Not unusual for a guy.
NO solidarity with you, thanks."

You ladies here are so busy hating white women as a group, you've forgotten how white men have co-opted the anti-racist movement and have been spitting down on white women and women of color in order to get "cred/cookies" for looking like they're oh so progressive. How could you not see it?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2008 2:52 PM  

As an outsider, good luck in your countrys election. Hopefully someone sensible with a knowledge of economics wins. Currently that looks like Obama. Before it looked like Hillary.

However I don't think either who win will really change much.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/03/2008 11:28 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home