The Silence of Our Friends

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Gratitude & An Explanation Or Two

First a huge thank you to BfP for stepping up for me and cross posting some of the best content from her site over here. But it's time that I should get my act together and come up with some content myself.

I guess I ought to explain a few things to newer readers and maybe some not so new readers. I've gotten a few confused comments from people saying, I thought you were gone, or too busy, etc. Most I hope are genuinely confused, but there has been an undercurrent to a couple where it sounds like the writer thinks I am lying or creating drama. I gave my goodbye cruel world post a week and a half ago thinking I wouldn't have internet access, when instead I was only cut off for a few days. I did find the time to set up another computer to the internet after I packed my own. We have three computers, which I explained back in November, my husband worked massive amounts of overtime in order to get the kids their own desktop, instead of sharing with me, and got me a laptop for Christmas this year.

So yes, even though I was very tired and aching from packing up the house and cleaning all day, late at night I missed reading blogs and emails so I took a half hour to set up the kids computer to that DSL thingee just so I could have internet access for one more lousy week! And now we are staying in a hotel so that the kids can finish up school and the hotel has open wireless, so I am tapping away on the laptop. Also, my sisters and my father all have internet access, so while I am staying with them I will be able to find time to at least check email and maybe post to the blog or comment on others blogs, I just don't know what the plans are or how busy I will be at the moment so I hate to make any promises that I will be around at all.

The other thing most regulars know is that I have three herniated cervical disks which causes alot of pain in my neck and shoulders and numbness down my left arm. All the cleaning, packing, and lifting has made that alot worse. I have meds for the pain but it causes problems with my short term memory and just plain ability to think clearly. Since I've gone from 3 pills per day to 6 or 7, I'm pretty much in a fog most of the time. The few paragraphs I have typed here have taken me over an hour to write. Half the time I can't remember where I was going with this, or I can't remember the words I want to use and have to stop and reread or think about it. The most frustrating thing for me is reading blogs, if the article or post is really long, I have extreme difficulty following it because I forget what was said in the earliest paragraphs and have to reread again and again.

I wanted to explain that because I may or may not have the ability to post even though I am online. I have to get some rest so that I don't need as many pills and can retrieve my brain! And once I have my brain functioning well again, I may not have time to be online. That's whats up with me for now. I only took 4 pills today so things are getting better and hopefully soon I will see if I can put up a post or two about some other things I've been thinking about and wanting to talk about.

11 comment(s):

*big hug*

:) Take your time.

By Blogger Sylvia, at 6/06/2007 8:36 AM  

Hi Donna:

Sorry to hear about the disc thing. I've not been in as much pain as you describe (or maybe my numbness from the NECK UP works both ways. I am having a fusion procedure done on the 26th (a lot of folks who have never experienced what you and I do, on a daily basis, keep telling me I'm making a bad decision). I trust the doctor, I can feel the situation worsening and I still have good insurance coverage (although I now have to pay it--COBRA). It is not a decision I made lightly, believe me, but at the age of 57 I'm not interested in spending a bunch more years experiencing intractable discomfort that limits my life's activities.

I wish you all the best. Be well.

democommie

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/06/2007 9:15 AM  

take care, and i look forward to seeing you here when you get back.

By Blogger ben, at 6/06/2007 9:27 AM  

Ouch!

Get better. We can totally wait.

By Blogger Veronica, at 6/06/2007 1:51 PM  

It sounds very hard. I hope you feel better soon.

By Blogger Tom, at 6/06/2007 4:28 PM  

Ooh, ow. I hope you feel better soon!

We'll be here when you're ready. :)

By Blogger Magniloquence, at 6/06/2007 8:47 PM  

donna,

i had no idea you were dealing with such physical pain! i'm such a wimp... i would be near useless.

i would love to know where you will be living in connecticut, shoot me an email if you don't want to give up the city... i'm in Enfield several times a year and i would love to look you up the next time i'm in the state.

By Blogger Sassywho, at 6/07/2007 1:05 AM  

Hope you feel better soon, Donna. Thanks for posting about it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/09/2007 6:26 PM  

Hey, nidobaskwa. Take care and make it back to Wabanaki in one piece (or some semblance thereof.) We'll be here waiting.

And can I say, for all the problems we Wabanaki have with dealing with each other and those around us, we are just so much more... healthy, Indian-wise, than the Cherokee with whom I've been working and living for the past ten days. I think I'd rather be with Mohawks ;-).

By Blogger MB, at 6/09/2007 11:01 PM  

I'm so sorry you've been in such pain. I've had some serious back problems myself in the past so I can empathize - hope that by now, you're feeling much better.

By Blogger Plain(s)feminist, at 7/04/2007 3:48 AM  

Appreciaate you blogging this

By Anonymous Jam Recipes, at 5/19/2023 4:58 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home