The Silence of Our Friends

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Please Help!

I'm really worried about Mary Beth over at Wampum and the Koufax Awards. Her latest post at the Koufax site says this: "I'm sorry I got behind tallying, but I really have been quite sick. When rales set in, I knew it was probably pneumonia, most likely viral, as the leftover antibiotics I took a few weeks ago didn't even touch it. Of course, we have no health insurance, so going to the doctor is out of the question. Isn't it great living in the wealthiest country in the world, and not having access to affordable health care, even when you're really sick?"

I just sent a donation through Paypal but I know it isn't enough to cover a doctor's visit not to mention the cost of any prescription. Pneumonia is so dangerous and the longer she waits the more likely she will be hospitalized and that is the last thing that she or her family needs. Everyone please do what you can, send a few dollars if you are able, use your blogs to ask others to help too.

If you are able to donate go to Wampum's front page, on the left side bar just below the 2004 Koufax Finalist emblem there is a text link to donate at Amazon and just below that there is a Paypal button to donate there. Let's show our appreciation for the great writing she does at Wampum and the hard work that goes into the Koufax Awards, and show immense compassion for a mother with small children depending on her!

12 comment(s):

Eric came home with his paycheck yesterday (finally!), so, yes, I'm going to the doctor today. Hurray.

Thanks, nidobaskwa, for looking out for me.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/25/2007 10:33 AM  

mb,

Sending wishes for your speedy recovery!

Donna, you're a peach.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/25/2007 2:33 PM  

Just sent in $35 more. I get paid tomorrow - yippee!

Thanks for letting people know about this. And mb, take care of yourself. Rest. Rest. Rest. And be pampered!

By Blogger Ravenmn, at 1/25/2007 5:11 PM  

Awesome, mb. Get well soon!

By Blogger Sylvia, at 1/25/2007 9:29 PM  

So this is a test to see if I can get my pic on my blogger profle, just like lovely Donna.

Let's see if it works.

By Blogger MB, at 1/26/2007 12:39 AM  

MB, I am so relieved! My mom had pneumonia a few years back and boy did she have all of us worried for her, especially since she wouldn't let anything keep her down and get the rest she needs! Unfortunately, since then she had a heart attack and that has slowed her down considerably whether she likes it or not, she tires easily now and has to rest. But I just talked to her two days ago and she is already planning a vacation to Las Vegas for 2008 when she turns 65. She said she expects me and my husband to pay her way! LOL We would be glad to and are only sorry to wait so long but she insists it has to be for her 65th birthday.

Speaking of pictures, on one of my visits to Tobique, my mother has one of those photo collages and there was a picture of "me" with my baby sister which I didn't remember taking. It was because it wasn't me, it was my mother and my baby sister! It's hard to believe how much I look like her now, and how much she looks like my meme (her mother) now too. If you had told me I would look like her when I was a teen I would have said, "NOOOOOOOOOO!" but now I'm proud of it. I don't think there are many teens who really appreciate their parents but once you get a little age and experience you realize how great your parents are (or if they were jerks too, like my dad. LOL)

I shouldn't badmouth dad too much, there is something about that age group that does make men sociopaths. (Your description of your dad reminds me alot of mine, RavenMN). Fathers during the 50s, 60s, and 70s just seemed to think it was all about being the breadwinner and appearances. It wasn't so important what you really did, if you were doing something "wrong" you just had to be discreet, and make sure that the appearance was still of the morally upright citizen. Notice most politicians are in this age group too and I don't find it too surprising when it's revealed that they are craven hypocrites.

I give feminism credit for making men better fathers. I know my husband knows that it is more than bringing home the bacon and that he is "allowed" to really love his children and enjoy his time with them instead of being Mr Disciplinarian and Mr ATM. Women shifted expectations of their roles and at the same time shifted expectations for mens' roles too.

By Blogger Donna, at 1/26/2007 3:30 AM  

Well, here's the follow report from the doc visit: Pneumonia, brochitis and asthma. Lots of antibiotics, an inhaler and a wicked big bottle of codeine. Wheeeeee.

Should start feeling better in a couple of days.

Oliwni ni.

By Blogger MB, at 1/27/2007 7:49 PM  

Well, I sent something along before I read the comments, and now that I've read the last one, I'm doubly glad I did!

MBW, take it easy, rest as much as you can and take care of yourself. That's a wicked combination of ailments.

By Blogger Nanette, at 1/27/2007 10:34 PM  

mb--glad to hear you have some medicine!!! good heavens' what a mess of ailments!!

Thinking about you and sending good thoughts for your recovery!

By Blogger brownfemipower, at 1/28/2007 2:55 PM  

I hate codeine, it gives me stomach aches. That's what the dentist gave me when he pulled all four of my wisdom teeth, luckily the worst of the pain was only that first day after that it was manageable with plain old tylenol.

MB, I am glad you saw a doctor and are being treated and now I hope you will get well quickly! A weird question, do you remember a cartoon called Wacky Races and there was this Dastardly character and his dog Muttley? I had bronchitis about 5 or 6 yrs back and whenever I laughed I sounded like that dog Muttley which made me laugh harder and as you know, when you have bronchitis that's not a good thing because then you have a coughing fit that turns you purple. In case anyone wants a reminder of who Dastardly and Muttley are click here and if you want to hear Muttley laugh click here.

By Blogger Donna, at 1/28/2007 10:16 PM  

I'm so glad you are handled MB, thank you Donna for caring so much about life.

By Blogger HopeSpringsATurtle, at 1/30/2007 1:54 PM  

Hello,
I just took a few minutes to look at your wonderful site, here. Looks very well done - I'll come back when I have time to take it in. I found you listed on MyBlogLog page. My blogspot blog is
http://ilovemylifebrothersandsisters.blogspot.com

By Blogger ilovemylife, at 1/30/2007 11:25 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home