The Silence of Our Friends

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Bees Something Or Other Blah Blah Blah

I didn't realize that a particular post was what was inspiring many of the post I had read in the past week or so. The original was eventually password protected, which kind of defeats the purpose of warning the world about those nefarious wasps. For those who are curious to see the original Bitch|Lab has a copy. Trust me, if you need a good laugh, go read it. I hope I never write anything that convoluted and ridiculous.

I swear, some days you need to put on your full body asbestos jumpsuit to withstand the blast furnace that is Blackamazon! You have been warned, click the link at your own peril!
The choosing sides aspects bothers me as for many folks " choosing" would be a luxury something like a unicorn.

Magical, mythical, and completely unattainable.

One who is not a desireable does not choose sides. This isnt dodgeball. People aren't playing around with minor irritants or positions. The reason we do not "shift" positions has less to do with a preplanned wasp meeting that we should all present a united front than real life experience and commited BELIEF in what it is we're saying.

And frankly for those of us whom this isn't an exercise in "Theory as Therapy, Rally as Reassurance, and Politic as Personal Proving ground" there is no "Shifting" with out denying a large part of the personal experience if not identity
and
Considering the long as stage times "proper" white girls have had in readjusting and being the mouthpiece for "feminism" is it any wonder that the other say 98.7 percent of it for whom things were not better or more clear in the halcyon days of yore (which by the bye never really existed) are just a touch annoyed at the idea that our

SPEAKING UP FOR OUR OWN FREZACKIUCKING LIVES is the damage to the movement.

But not say the constant and unflailing need for some people to have both a leader and the most high seat at the damn table while everyone else has to scrounge to eat?

(and yep I still remmber the flack that was caught when it was mentioned at the outcry that arose when a white woman couldnt get an abortion but the near constant backhanded rationalising that went on when black ones needed pads or the deafening silence of Brown ones trying to get their votes counted)


I don't know how many times and ways we have to say it. BA is saying it again in a new way, and maybe it will get through to a few more people. People are not rallying to get us to "their side" in the big ole dodgeball game. They are too busy telling us to shut up, and that our identity politics will lose elections, that our problems and issues are trivial. That is why we don't shimmy and sway with each wind that blows in the feminist blogworld. We know who will stand with us and who won't; it has nothing to do with some "fun wasp" meeting getting together to play pranks and cause trouble for those "serious bees". Who happen to be 99% privileged white women completely blind to any issues that do not center them.

And I would be remiss if I didn't include some excellent posts from Belledame222. You have to read footnote wrt "fun" (feminism, or anything else) since it's a continuation of my last post with Belle's unique view of the situation.

And a newer post about something else, but related, Dear Heart:. This one burns me up since Heart was objecting over at Women of Color Blog about the people saying that she is bigotted, and then she goes and writes bigotted crap like this? I think Heart really is proud to be a monster, but not in the way that either Little Light or Robin Morgan meant. She's proud to be hateful and insensitive.

6 comment(s):

People are not rallying to get us to "their side" in the big ole dodgeball game.

Yeah, that.

And, the fact it's treated like junior high school gym class pretty much goes to show what level she's operating at.

By Blogger Veronica, at 1/18/2007 4:02 AM  

Donna, I don't think you could write something half as convoluted as that bee post if you spent the rest of your life trying. That piece vastly stretched my understanding of the possibilities of bad writing, I mean, prose that cataclysmicly mind-numbing takes serious dedication.

And you, Donna, are one of the finest crafters of lucid prose in the spheres.

By Blogger Kai, at 1/18/2007 1:24 PM  

Donna, Sorry that I'm not exactly on topic, but I wanted to send you this: http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_digbysblog_archive.html#116913115579780538 (but couldn't find an email link).

I can't recommend the comments thread (since it is exactly what you would expect, and I didn't even read them all) but the post is (to me, at least) an interesting compilation worth bookmarking. And I wondered what you would think of it.

I'll have to follow the other links here later on... when I have a few hours :~)

By Blogger Karen M, at 1/18/2007 4:28 PM  

I'd rather stick to Forrest Gump-like descriptors, myself.

And yay, I missed you posting. :)

By Blogger Sylvia, at 1/18/2007 8:05 PM  

"Life is like a box of chocolate covered bees. You never know what you--OW!!"

By Blogger belledame222, at 1/18/2007 11:07 PM  

It does sound like a jr. high gym school class.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/20/2007 12:09 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home